Best Breast Pumps for Exclusive Pumping
Exclusive Pumping, or commonly known as EPing, is for more mothers who are having difficulty breastfeeding and still want their to baby to get the full benefits of the nutrition that mother’s milk can offer.
When nature does not come to the party, we have to look at alternative solutions to give your baby this opportunity. This is where technology steps in to simulate what remains a very natural process, and act as an intermediary.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is Exclusive Pumping or EPing?
- 2 When Do You Need To Pump?
- 3 How To Take Care of Your Body While EPing?
- 4 What Do You Need To Start?
- 5 What to look for in an electric pump?
- 6 Top Rated Breast Pumps for Extended Feeding
- 6.1 Medela Pump – Advanced Breastpump with Breastmilk Cooler Set
- 6.2 AnGeer Electric Dual Breast Pump
- 6.3 PREUP Double Electric Advanced Breast Milk Pump
- 6.4 Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single Breast Pump
- 6.5 Philips AVENT Double Electric Comfort Breast Pump
- 7 Final Word
What is Exclusive Pumping or EPing?
Exclusive pumping, or Eping, is breastfeeding without you necessarily nursing your baby. Mothers who choose EPing will usually have specific reasons why they cannot breastfeed their baby. These issues can vary from difficulty with latching, to a baby being born prematurely and not yet being able to handle breastmilk directly.
EPing is an alternative solution to formula feeding. With EPing, you are still giving your baby breastmilk. You just use an alternative method of delivery. This way, your baby gets the benefits and nutrition that breast milk provides, even though you cannot nurse your child in the traditional way.
When Do You Need To Pump?
Experts recommend that you pump every two hours. This translates to pumping eight to twelve times in a 24-hour period. This will ensure that you are going to have a steady milk supply. As much as possible, try to mimic actual nursing time when you are pumping. This means that you will base it on your baby’s need to feed.
For every session, you need to pump for at least 15 minutes. The longest period that you can pump is 20 minutes. After you empty your breast for the session and the milk stops flowing, it is best to pump it again for another five minutes just to maintain the milk production.
How To Take Care of Your Body While EPing?
While you are EPing, it is a must to take care of your body. Avoid ingesting too much caffeine in the body as caffeine can affect the mood and behavior of your child.
The next thing that you need to take note of is the type of medication that you are taking, if any. There are some medications that can affect milk production.
Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as fruits and nuts to supply you with the nutrients that you need to support your body during milk production.
What Do You Need To Start?
If you are decided in EPing, here are some items that you will need to start:
- A reliable breast pump. You need to have a double electric breast pump.
- An alternate breast pump. This can be a manual one just in case there’s no electricity.
- Storage plastic bags for breastmilk storage.
- Bottle for bottle feeding.
Aside from the things that you need to prepare, you also need to prepare yourself and the rest of the family as you embark on EPing. You need to commit time and energy to this. This is easier if you are a stay-at-home mom because you have the luxury of being able to pump anytime. The scenario is quite different for mothers who are working.
This is easier if you are a stay-at-home mom because you have the luxury of being able to pump anytime. The scenario is quite different for mothers who are working.
The scenario is quite different for mothers who are working. You will need to identify the areas in your place of work where you can pump privately. Make sure that the place is clean and sanitized. You will also need to have a place where you can temporarily store your breastmilk… Probably some big labels to so no one puts it in their coffee.
What to look for in an electric pump?
Compact and Easy to Assemble
Look for something that is easy to take apart for cleaning, and easy to put back together. This can save you a lot of time and frustration.
This is also an important factor to consider especially if you are always on the road for travel or as a lifestyle.
Adjustable Suction Speed
You need to be able to control the speed of the suction when pumping. We all have a different comfort level with the speed of suction. An electric pump will allow you to adjust this easily.
For working mothers it will also giv you control if you have limited time to spare.
Backup Power Source
If you are EPing, electricity is your best friend. You may not always be able to rely on it though. You should also be prepared for any events that could lead to the power being cut off for an extended period of time.
You could look for a model that features a rechargeable battery pack, or go old school and whip out a manual pump – which is the cheaper option. Considering it is a just in case, the manual may be sufficient.
Top Rated Breast Pumps for Extended Feeding
Medela Pump – Advanced Breastpump with Breastmilk Cooler Set
This is a compact and powerful pump and the package contains the following: Two (2) medium breast shields, two (2) valves and connectors, tubing, six bottles with lid, a cooler, a cooling pack and the pump.
Working moms and those who are EPing of the Two-Phase Expression technology used by Medela. This technology actually mimics the way your child feeds.
- It is very compact and can be taken conveniently anywhere. It can even fit inside your diaper bag.
- Mothers are comfortable and do not feel any pain when pumping. It is gentle but very effective at extracting milk.
- It is very easy to clean and maintain.
- The pumping speed is adjustable and can perfectly suit your comfort level and milk requirement. This feature will come in handy for some mothers who are sensitive to fast pumping.
- It can be loud when in use.
- Lactation consultant claims that it can only help maintain the milk that you are already producing but it will not help you produce more milk in the process.
AnGeer Electric Dual Breast Pump
AnGeer Dual Breast Pump is a designed for mothers on the go. It has a tiny motor, but is almost as strong as hospital grade pumps. It doesn’t only help you pump milk but it also triggers milk production by gently massaging the breast as you pump.
- It is comfortable and has a sucking action that is similar to a baby’s sucking reflex and action.
- The motor is quiet and it will allow you to pump discretely whether at home or at work.
- The double breast pump will save you a lot of time because you can extract milk on both breasts at the same time.
- It has a USB charger that can allow you to charge the breast pump on any USB compatible device.
- You can bring this anywhere and anytime you like. It is lightweight, compact and portable.
- The suction strength is adjustable depending on your comfort level.
- It has soft silicone cushion padding that makes it extra comfortable while pumping.
- You need to provide your own cooler especially if you are pumping from work.
PREUP Double Electric Advanced Breast Milk Pump
If you want an electric breast pump that has everything that you will ever need when EPing, the PREUP FDA be the package to satisfy your requirements. The package contains the following: power adapter, power cord, suction pump, check valve, bottles, dust cover, seal cover, thread cover, hose, larnyard, bottles, bottle cap and a three-way connector.
- It has an LCD display that gives you the following information: battery life, how strong the pumping is, how long you have been pumping, massage indicator, and AC symbol.
- It has a memory function so there’s no need to re-enter your settings every time you pumped.
- Comes with its own “Mummy Bag” where you can put all the accessories and carry it with you neatly.
- It has a larnyard that will allow you to hang the pump host around your neck so you can be hands-free to do empty the bottles once you are done pumping.
- If you don’t need all of these extras then they may end up as clutter that is collecting dust around the house.
- PREUP is not a recognized brand in this space with a long track record. While the product performs well, the long term durability of the motor and accessories is yet to be fully tested.
Spectra Baby USA S2 Double/Single Breast Pump
The Spectra Baby is a handy, hospital grade electric breastmilk pump. It boasts 300mmHg of suction strength. It weighs only 3.3 pounds and is quite easy to carry around the house.
- Employs a close system that is more hygienic. It also prevents the milk from getting into the motor, thus making a motor breakdown less likely to occur.
- There are different suction speeds to choose from. You can modify it according to what you need and your comfort level of course.
- There is a vibrating motion while you are pumping that stimulates milk production.
- It has a nightlight that will allow you to pump efficiently at bedtime.
- You only need to set the setting once and it will get saved. When you turn it on for your next session, it will automatically go back to your preferred setting.
- It has a quiet motor that will allow you to pump without waking up your baby and discretely at work.
- You will need to provide your own bag to be able to carry it with you.
- It doesn’t come with a car adapter and you have to buy all the other accessories that you’ll need.
Philips AVENT Double Electric Comfort Breast Pump
The Philips AVENT Breast Pump is designed to give comfort and ease to mothers. You can pump without having to lean forward. They have modified the neck of the pump so you can pump with your back resting against a chair. It features massaging petals that gently massage your breast while pumping.
- The kit comes with all the accessories that you will need. If you need an additional bottle, you will find the nozzle is compatible with most AVENT bottles.
- The pumping action stimulates a nursing baby which in return, can stimulate milk production.
- It is lightweight and very easy to use. It has a simple design and is easy to assemble.
- Allows you to pump while you are sitting comfortably.
- The machine can be loud when you operate it.
- The nipple shields can sometimes cause friction and can result in blisters if not attended to properly.
Exclusively pumping takes commitment to continue long term. There will be the constant inconvenience, cleaning and refrigerating. Once you get into the routine though it’s not so bad. Everyone around you will adjust too – although you might get a funny look the fist time you are pumping at your work desk while holding a conversation.
The benefits to your baby are significant, and at the end of the day that is what it is all about.